Re: fc5: install everything?

On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 05:39, Tony Molloy wrote:

> I did an install yesterday and it took the entire day to get the
> "everything install". Do the base install selecting as little as
> possible, configure the yum repos, do the everything install, do the
> updates. I'm thinking of a few months time when I have to install 200+
> machines. And I need the everything install because I can't tell a
> student what environment, Gnome or KDE, to use what browser, mailer etc
> to use.
>
> It was a useful feature.

Some time ago I saw an invocation of 'rpm -q ...' that
generated the installed list of software on one machine
in a format that could be used on the command line of
yum to load the same set on another.  One format string
would load the exact versions and one would pull the
latest version of that set of packages.  Making this list
available - or perhaps many versions of this list with
descriptions of why this set was chosen - would
mostly solve this problem for people with fast internet
connections.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx