Re: fc5: install everything?

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 01:19:23PM -0400, Mark Haney wrote:

> Good luck with that.  I have a SUSE box that has virtually nothing
> installed by default.  You think Fedora's installation is sparse?  I was

I can't confirm that data point. SuSE installs are usually eclectic.

> amazed at the total lack of packages installed in SUSE.  Really, it's a
> total joke to work on that server.  It has KDE /and/ GNOME installed (on

You're talking about a server, I notice.

> a /server/ no less) and yet I had to install the sysstat packages along
> with ntpd and about 3 or 4 others just to make the server really
> manageable.  The SUSE install is just silly.  The Fedora installer is at
> least more /sane/ than most other installers I've seen or used.

I disagree. I'm still not done with pulling the packages in manually.
People, this sucks.

> But it seems rather childish to switch distros just for that.  Kind of
> like taking your ball and going home, eh?

I don't like the sentiment behind above sentence. Yes, I try and run
whatever the fuck I damn please. It broadens the horizont. It allows
me to get work done quicker. Been SuSE, done that, and "install everything"
is a sufficient reason to switch distros.