Re: fc5: install everything?

Frank Samuelson wrote:
Because you can never beat a dead horse enough...

I'm going to chime in that the loss of the "Install Everything"
button is a big loss for Fedora.
I think the everything means ALL languges and a bunch of stuff I will never use. But I loaded the "Work Station" which in the old days meant you could compile a new kernel and did often. I discovered I had to yum the compiler stuff and it was ok but slow.

So if I do it again I will choose to select my own. I can get all the things I use like the "joe editor" and maybe even get my gMFSK to work on FC5.

Karl

  Everyone I know who installs Fedora
or RedHat (which is really only about 4-5 people)
uses the "Install Everything" button, because _no_one_
gives a measly care about a few extra Gb of disk space, and
nobody wants to spend time pecking around menus or hunting down
software.  It is a big waste of time.

No, I don't want to have to load and run another program that
can get me some other interface which I have to figure out
to install everything.  No I don't want to have to click every
package group.  No, I don't care if my auto updater has to download more fixes.
I just want to click the "Install Everything" button and,
no, I don't care if it doesn't really install _everything_.
Almost everything is fine.

And conflicts really aren't the problem.  There are lots of
packages now that aren't getting installed now that could be.
I was surprised by all the "optional" packages that I had to
select one at a time to get installed: old favorites like
emacs(!), xmms, xfig, and great newer programs like k3b (which the
fedora installation web page recommends for burning fedora CDs :).

It is just not worth my time.  Next time it will be SUSE instead.

-Frank

p.s. Inkscape should be in the distribution.  It's the hot
new thing.  Very nice.