Re: Iptables not saving...

On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 22:22 -0400, Devon Harding wrote:

> > Were the rules set up the way you wanted before running the service command?
> >
> Yes
>
> > Did it appear to work correctly? You should get output like the following:
> > Saving firewall rules to /etc/sysconfig/iptables:          [  OK  ]
> >
> Yes
>
> > Did /etc/sysconfig/iptables get updated?
> >
> & Yes
>
> > Things that would cause problems are not running the command as root or
> > not having /sbin in your path when you run the command.
> >
> I got it working by putting this command in my /etc/rc.local:
>
> /sbin/iptables-restore < /etc/sysconfig/iptables

This line (at least similar) is in /etc/init.d/iptables in the start()
function.

Is there a chance the proper script is not getting called to start
iptables?
Is iptables being started by the system or by a manual script you run?

There should be something similar to the following in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d
and /etc/rc.d/rc5.d
  /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S08iptables

Notice the 'S08' on that file name, which tells the system to
automatically (S)tart iptables.
If that file is not there or if it is named K92iptables then it is not
getting started by the system and does not auto-load your rules.