Re: FC5 mp3 ripping

David Fletcher wrote:
I previously had this working with FC4 (my previous thread on the subject was called "An mp3 ripping yarn")

With FC5 I've followed the same method to get Sound Juicer ripping:-

rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-5.rpm
yum install gstreamer08-plugins-extra-audio

Add the mp3 profile:-
Add new profile and name it MP3.
Then press Edit
and set GStreamer Pipeline to
audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! lame name=enc
I also tried
audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! lame name=enc preset=1002

Then set the File Extenstion to mp3 and checked Active.

It goes through the motions but the resulting files won't play on xmms.

The mp3 files I ripped with the same Sound Juicer setup on FC4 play just fine with xmms on FC5 (I did yum install xmms-mp3).

Can anybody tell me what's wrong please? Is it the Gstreamer Pipeline string?

Dave Fletcher

Hi Dave, It is possible that the new way your making MP3 files that are using the wrong sample frequency. I am very weak on this too, but I have some mp3 music that plays fine in an old cd-rom based mp3 player. I got a cheap mp3 player that uses a sim stick memory and it's tiny. The old mp3 would not play. I gave it to a Windows friend and he put it through their thing and raised the sample rate a lot. Now they play on the new tiny box.

Karl