Re: Web-design in Fedora

On Sat, 2006-05-06 at 12:31 -0400, Jeff Ratliff wrote:
> On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 06:13:29PM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> > Can anyone suggest a good tutorial or howto
> > for someone designing a web-site (their first)
> > intended to run under Apache/Fedora ?
> >
> I've found <http://www.htmlhelp.org> to be a good resource.
>
> Looking at the code of the kind of site you want to build can teach you a few
> things (just click "View -> Page source" in Firefox). Unfortunately many sites
> today run on Flash/Javascript/whatever, and are needlessly complicated.
> <http://www.catb.org/~esr> is worth looking at (Eric Raymond's site) as he
> sticks pretty much to basic HTML/CSS.

I'd suggest looking at xhtml

Self plug - but clean xhtml / css2 can be viewed at
http://www.tetexrpm.org/

The file extensions are .php because php generates the code.
xhtml - at least it seems to me - is better thought out than html.

Any fairly recent browser supports it.

I'm not a professional web designer, but when I asked advice from
professionals I know - they all said if starting fresh, go xhtml.