Re: The new kernel 2.6.16-1.2111 - nice

Am Samstag, den 06.05.2006, 04:46 -0500 schrieb Arthur Pemberton:
> On 5/6/06, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > They are building currently -- will probably take two or three hours
> > until all kmod's are build and published (I tried to build them
> > yesterday evening [CET], but the buildsys got stuck -- that's life).
> Cool. I am kinda curious about the whole process behind this.

Livna uses plague now, just as extras does.

>  Is it
> all automated or what?

No(t yet).

>  If it is, maybe a SETI type distributed cluster
> for recompiling such kernel dependant packages would come in handy.

Well, multiple build machines would help.  But they need to be trusted
(and maintained), and that's the biggest problem ;-)

> > > Yah, you really have look out for those kmod dependencies. I know of
> > > know mechanismn in yum to automate this.
> > Someone was working on a yum-plugin to optimize the handling of kmods.
> > Don't know what's the current status of it.
> Sweet. It isn't really that big a deal, however, I suppose such a
> plug, installed by default would be handy.

Well, it is needed to make everything really smooth. But most things
work fine currently, too.

> BTW and OT, the madwifi drivers I got from Livna for FC5 do not work
> properly at all, while those I had from ATrpms for FC4 worked
> perfectly. Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting?

No idea -- I only packaged them because it seemed a lot of people were
interested in them. I have never used them myself.

CU
thl
--
Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>