FC5 Epiphany being refused by dbus

Followups set to gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general

I get this error message when I try to launch Epiphany (under FC5) :

"Startup failed because of the following error: Failed to connect to
socket /tmp/dbus-ew4gLGoRks: Connection refused." (It's always the same up
to the hyphen; the gibberish after that varies.)

What does it mean, and what can I do about it??

I've been discussing this at some length on gmane.comp.gnome.apps.epiphany.
The advice I get there from Reinout van Schouwen (who does not run FC5) is
that if dbus is running, there should be no problem. Maybe someone here
can tell why there is nevertheless.

With Reinout's help, I eventually found /etc/rc.d/init.d/messagebus, and
added that to the background services list on Service Configuration; when
I open that, it now lists messagebus, for which it says "dbus-daemon (pid
21177 20342) is running..." But I still get the failure.

It's epiphany-2.14.1-1.fc5.2, btw.

An odd and possibly related problem is that rpm -q says I have
mozilla-1.7.13-1.1.fc5, but mozilla doesn't appear in the Internet list
off the Main Menu.

The .mozilla folder in my home directory does not contain another mozilla
folder; the .galeon folder does contain one, but it in turn contains only
galeon. The home directory also does not contain a .firefox folder, but
the .mozilla folder does. I can run both galeon and firefox. I haven't
found a way to invoke mozilla.

This is on a machine that was upgraded from FC4. That seemed to go well,
and so did the first yum update I did. Then I started hitting dependency
hells, some of which choked yum updates entirely.

I eventually did a yum remove mozilla, which took several other
things with it, including epiphany and galeon. I followed up by yum
install galeon epiphany epiphany-extensions devhelp yelp mozilla-devel and
then yum install mozilla, both of which succeeded, except for this problem
with epiphany.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, PhD Neo-Redneck Linux Convert
FC5; CXO 5.0.1; Pine 4.64, Pan 0.14.2.91; Privoxy 3.0.3;