Re: "Jane!!! Stop this crazy thing!!!"

The commit interval to sync the buffers is 5sec if I am not mistaken. So every five seconds the kernel
empties the buffers and writes their data on disk. You can change that by passing the 'commit=#sec'
argument on the mount options in /etc/fstab.

Filippos

On 5/4/06, jludwig <wralphie@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thursday 04 May 2006 12:21 pm, Mike Duffy wrote:
> Can anyone please explain to me why my hard drive continuously cycles every
> three to five seconds, even when I am not doing anything?  This is
> incredibly annoying.
>
> I am using FC-4.  Does anyone know if this bug (please don't tell me it is
> a feature) has been fixed in FC-5?  Does anyone know if there are any other
> Linux distributions that do not have this bug?
>
> Is there any way to turn this activity off, by killing a process, etc.?  If
> anyone can help me solve this I promise to buy you your favorite beverage
> if you are ever in Austin.
>
> Thx!
>
> Mike
>
> FYI:  The subject of this email comes from the cartoon series, "The
> Jetsons."

> Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
> http://mail.yahoo.com
Cron also checks every minute for programs it is supposed to run at scheduled
timesaccording to it's script.
--
Some people have convictions.
Some people have opinions