Re: limits.conf: howto set core file size?

Patrick wrote:

> Thanks for the information. I was thinking about the login you
> mentioned. The primary application I need this for is Asterisk. Like
> apache it is started as root and by passing -U <user> -G <group>
> parameters it will run as that <user>/<group> (asterisk/asterisk in my
> case). Do I still need to add the info to the initscript or do I add it
> to limits.conf?

I run a large scale Asterisk system on Fedora Core 3. I had a problem where the default number of file descriptors wasn't adequate for the number of socket connections that were being opened. Suffice it to say that I learned the information I'm passing on about ulimit and limits.conf the hard way. I make all ulimit changes in the init script AND limits.conf. That way they're applied in both of the following scenarios:

1) Asterisk is started automatically at boot.
2) Asterisk is started manually from a login prompt after a crash or maintenance downtime.

If you're planning on having a large number of concurrent calls, you should increase the maximum number of file descriptors so that you don't run into the same problem I did. This can be done by adding the following lines to limits.conf:

<user>   soft   nofile   65536
<user>   hard   nofile   65536

And adding the following line to Asterisk's init script, prior to starting Asterisk itself:

ulimit -n 65536

If security isn't a major issue, I'd recommend running Asterisk as root. There is a substantial amount of work involved in setting all of the permissions to run it properly as another user.

Here are a couple of scripts that you can use for starting Asterisk at boot and restarting it automatically if it crashes:

<http://svn.digium.com/view/asterisk/branches/1.2/contrib/init.d/rc.redhat.asterisk?rev=15615&view=markup>
<http://svn.digium.com/view/asterisk/branches/1.2/contrib/scripts/safe_asterisk?rev=21638&view=markup>