Re: Free T1 Palatino fonts?

On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 14:46 +0200, Frank-Michael Fischer wrote:

> The problem with these semi-professional fonts is: they are missing pair
> kerning information either partially or totally. E.g. URW Palladio comes
> with kerning for ASCII characters only. Which makes it unusable for
> professional publications in non-ASCII languages (Polish, German,
> Hungarian, Swedish, Danish, Norvegian, Czech, Slovakian etc.). The
> Original Palatino from Linotype takes the multi-lingual use of this font
> into consideration and contains all kerning pair information. URW does
> not. "Times New Roman" from MS has got the same problem. "Georgia" comes
> with no kerning at all.

I believe the original purpose of the fonts was so that postscript
documents could be created (the postscript file would contain the Adobe
font names, thus your printer would use the real postscript fonts) and
viewed with free software.

If I'm not mistaken, LaTeX provides kerning for some of these fonts.

> Thus even when the single character shapes are identical between two
> fonts one can still produce messy output. Who wants to see the
> difference, should try to print "Walter Tow" in different fonts, size 12
> or 14, on a decent laser printer, once with pair kerning on, once with
> off. (It's a setting in OpenOffice under "Format -> Character.)

The following document compared Palatino Linotype (ttf font, purchased
from myfonts.com for the excellent polytonic greek) with the URW
Palladio font. I do not have the type 1 Palatino font (except on the
Level II postscript simm in my LaserJet 4)

http://mpeters.us/walter_tow.pdf

It was created using AbiWord print to pdf.
point sizes are 12 and 28

According to acroread, the fonts are embedded - so it shouldn't
substitute real Palatino when printed.