Re: Kernel Version

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 17:53:38 +0530,
  Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshriyan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Please explain me about the Kernel 2.6.16.13 version from www.kernel.org
>
> Here I Know that 2 is a Major Number
>                         6 is a Minor Number
>                        16 is a Micro Number
>
> My Doubt is what does the number 13 Signifies

There have been 13 updates to 2.6.16 after it has been released. The new way
of doing things is that after a kernel is released, that a stable team
supports it until the next kernel is released (I have seen talk of changing
this to supporting old kernels for two releases new way
of doing things is that after a kernel is released, that a stable team
supports it until the next kernel is released. (I have seen talk of changing
this to supporting old kernels for two releases.) Only bug fixes (especially
security ones) are supposed to be made in the stable kernels.
This system seems to be working much better than the old odd and even number
system where the stable kernels were too old.