Re: evince, pdf and two side printing

On Wed, 3 May 2006, Kevac Marko wrote:

Why choosing even or odd page to print is unavailable when printing
pdf file in evince?

It is huge spend of paper to print 700 pages file only on one side.

The whole mechanism for specifying print queue options in Linux is brain-damaged. This is one thing that Windows still does way better than Linux. Options should be selectable on the fly when you hit the Print button in any GUI app ("I want this doc printed landscape, duplex, flipped on the short edge, stapled; I want that doc printed portrait, simplex, 2-up, unstapled, shaken, not stirred."). OpenOffice offers some of these kinds of features in its own print subsystem, but that's not what evince uses.

I work around it by having separate queues for simplex and duplex directed to the same printer. If I frequently needed other options, I'd have to have other queues. Some options are not settable at all on some printers in Linux, but are in Windows.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu