shutdown process

I am sure I am missing something.  I prefer to start core 5 by first booting in level 3 and then to gui.  I find it interesting that the gui interface does not allow me to shut the computer down in this case but if I allow the computer to boot direct to run level 5 the shut down or reboot option is offered.    No particular problem just switch at the command line to either the su or root itself and then shut down.  This is where a inconstancy appears.  The shutdown process seems to go okay until the end when a sh-3.1# prompt appears, no matter what I do the same situation occurs; it does not seem to matter which switches I use if I want the computer actually turn off or reboot at this stage I need to manually turn the computer off. What is happening?
Norm