Re: FC3 => FC5 upgrade... possible?

At 12:25 AM +0100 5/2/06, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>Philip Prindeville wrote:
>
>> I have a system that was installed as FC3, and has been extensively
>> reconfigured (added outside repos, etc) and did some source-level
>> builds and installs.
>>
>> I'm hoping to find a path to upgrade to FC5, rather than having to
>> note all my config changes, save all my data, install, reconfigure,
>> and then restore my data.
>>
>> Can this be done?
>
>It certainly can be done, by upgrading to FC-4 and then to FC-5.
>I'm not sure if it can be done in one step,
>but I doubt if you will lose anything by trying.

I did it in one step.  I used the CD installer, not a yum upgrade.  I made
a backup first, and then made a copy of my FC3 partition and made sure that
worked, and upgraded that.  The original FC3 is still there.  There have
been a few odd things, such as not having beagle installed (though
libbeagle is installed) and having all my old kernels deleted, even those
for booting the original FC3 partition, and I did clean up the various
.rpmnew files.