Re: Chkrootkit messages ?

David Timms wrote:
Bob Goodwin wrote:

This is a fairly new FC5 installation, new ISP, and new wireless router system, all together adding up to numerous possibilities for errors. I installed and ran "chkrootkit" this morning with the following result and don't know how to deal with it? Any suggestions appreciated.

Checking `asp'... not infected
Checking `bindshell'... not infected
Checking `lkm'... You have     1 process hidden for readdir command
You have     1 process hidden for ps command
chkproc: Warning: Possible LKM Trojan installed
I get:
Checking `lkm'... chkproc: nothing detected

Checking `chkutmp'... The tty of the following user process(es) were not found
in /var/run/utmp !
! RUID          PID TTY    CMD
! root         2301 tty7   X :0 -auth /root/.serverauth.2284
chkutmp: nothing deleted
rkhunter and possibly chkrootkit have not been modified to take into account the FC5 norms (I think).

I scanned from "/" with f-prot yesterday and there were no indications of "infection."
The point of a rootkit is that any command / program could no longer be trusted: eg scanner asks OS: "open file x to check if its a got a virus" OS responds with "data" - but it is not the real data inside the file.

I've got the following installed:
rkhunter-1.2.8-3.fc5
chkrootkit-0.46a-2.2.fc5.rf

Is your chkrootkit the same version ?

It think it's worth installing rkhunter (either from core or extras - I've forgotten) for a second opinion.

DaveT.

I did yum install this morning and "chkrootkit -V" shows "chkrootkit version 0.46"

I'll try rkhunter as you suggest, if all else fails I guess I can re-install but hate to wipe out my configuration effort to date.

Thanks.  BobG