Wired Ethernet Connection at Hotel

I'm using FC4 on a Dell Inspiron 2200 and connecting through the wired
ethernet port. I connect all the time through this port at work and also
connect wirelessly without problem. When I try to connect using the wired
ethernet port using eth0 at a hotel using the gui interface, it connects
sort of but I cannot view web pages or do much. I can see that I'm
assigned an ip (I'm using dhcp) and I can guess at the gateway ip and the
dns ip. If I create a route to the gateway (either using the route command
or using the network gui) and enter the dns ip, I can then surf web pages,
use ssh, etc. The only problem is I have to re-activate the connection
frequently.

Any idea on why using dhcp doesn't work more automatically and more
easily and why I keep losing the connection? I've run into this problem
before with this laptop at other hotels that used wired ethernet. Wireless
dhcp works as expected.

Rick B.