Re: OT-motherboard

On Sun, Apr 30, 2006 at 03:50:24 -0700,
  "Michael A. Peters" <mpeters@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> At this point in time - I do not see the point of building a 32-bit
> desktop system.
>
> You can build a 64-bit amd system and install 32-bit windows and fedora
> on it - if your reasoning was to run a 32-bit operating system.
>
> I personally like nforce and via boards. nforce4 for a 64 bit amd.

You can get dual core AMD CPUs for reasonable prices and you will want to
look at that option.

Also you should get a board that supports ECC memory and get ECC memory.

> Sometimes onboard raid doesn't work. Sometimes (though this is getting
> rare) onboard sound doesn't work. nforce and via boards, my experience
> is that the onboard sound works just fine. I can't speak to onboard
> raid.

Even if there is onboard raid, you probably don't want to use it. Unless you
get to the point where you have a raid card that has battery backed cache,
you are probably better off using software raid under linux. This will probably
run faster, avoid propietary drivers, allow for more flexible design of your
array and not lock you in to a particular raid card / motherboard.