Re: troubles whit lan drivers using Fedora Core 4

Hi

1)> Does the standard via-rhine module not support this adapter?
I dont think so! I try to select via-rhine PCI option in th net config (the only present in the list) but the result was the same: absolutly nothing to do!

2 > It's possible that the driver doesn't support recent kernels. Does the
documentation with it say which kernels it's supposed to support?

Here is a little abstract by ASUS doc
================
**  VIA Rhine Family Fast Ethernet Adapter
**  Linux Driver
**  v4.38  Nov. 2004
Introduction:
The instructions listed below are for linux driver installation. You must compile the source code to generate rhinefet.o(rhinefet.ko in 2.6.x kernel, please remember to replace rhinefet.o with rhinefet.ko in the following sentences if you are using 2.6.x kernel) and use insmod command to insert rhinefet.o as module.
Kernel Supported:
This driver supports linux kernel version 2.2.x, 2.4.x and 2.6.x now.
CPU Supported:
This driver supports x86 and AMD64 based linux system.
================

I used "uname -r" to get my kernel version and this is the message: 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp kernel: so I think my kernel seems to be supported.
My pc. has a ASUS motherboard P5V800-MX and Pentium 4, 3.2 GHz CPU.

3) >Do you have the kernel-devel package for your running kernel installed?
I think so, I hope so! I installed FC4 as workstation, so I suppose the kernel-devel package is installed...Sorry but I'm a beginner for Linux OS....

4) > What instructions have you followed (what have you done?)?
I tried following these (ASUS) instructions:
1) Create a temporary directory: mkdir /temp
DONE

2) Change to the temporary directory: cd /temp
DONE

3) Copy driver (rhinefet.tgz) from DOS disk, (mcopy below is one tool in mtools, if you didn't install mtools, you can type 'mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt' and use 'cp /mnt/rhinefet.tgz /temp' command to copy the driver to the temporary directory): mcopy a:rhinefet.tgz .
DONE

4) untar the archive file: tar xzvf rhinefet.tgz
       cd rhinefet
DONE

5) Compile the driver source files and it will generate rhinefet.o, and copy it to correct driver installation path (The installation directory is different in different kernel versions. In 2.4.x/2.6.x kernel, the path is /lib/modules/KERNEL_VERSION/kernel/drivers/net/, and in 2.2.x kernel, the path is /lib/modules/KERNEL_VERSION/net/, the KERNEL_VERSION (see above) means the kernel version of your Linux distribution. If you don't know your kernel version , please run 'uname -r' command in command line. The kernel version will look like '2.2.16', '2.4.2-2smp' etc.) : make install

Impossible to do the suggested action! The compile fail! and good night to the players! and my net does't work yet!

Thanks for the help!
Rolando

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Howarth" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>