Re: Notes on installing FC5 and ipw3945 wireless driver on Samsung Q35 Notebook

Mike Cohler wrote:
Having spent some time in the past week installing FC5 and getting the new-ish
ipw3945 wireless interface running on a Samsung Q35 notebook, I though it might
be a good idea to put some notes onto a web page in case anyone else is
struggling to get (particularly) the wireless interface up and running.

Anyway these notes are now at http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~mdc1/samsung.html and
if there is any feedback/query please do it via this list.

Hi Mike -

I have one of these beasties now, here are some additional notes. I appreciated your original documentation and advise so maybe some of this can help yourself or someone else.

Suspend works most of the time, it requires Ctrl-Alt-F1 and then Ctrl-Alt-F7 to get video back. Hibernate proceeds correctly, but on reboot the hibernation data is ignored and it boots as if from cold.

By default the audio does not work well. There is a high frequency tone while the audio is active and changing mixer settings while audio active destroys audio until next boot. I updated to the latest Alsa drivers, and added the following to /etc/modprobe.conf

options snd-hda-intel index=0 single_cmd=1 model=laptop-eapd

On reboot sound is great. There does not seem to be an internal mic but the external mic jack also works after this. I don't know if the alsa upgrade was necessary because I found this solution after it.

WPA/WPA2 can be made to work using wpa_supplicant. I got it working first by hand, then discovered the wpa_supplicant already existed in FC5 as a service with integration into ifup and ifdown, so chkconfig wpa_supplicant on will help. TKIP support has a problem, I found setting my wireless router to WPA2 AES avoided the problem. Wireless is then very solid.

When setting your WPA key, note you have to encode the key first using wpa_passphrase before sticking it in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

wpa-supplicant needs to be told the ipw3945 device is to be communicated with using -D wext protocol.

I can't get NetworkManager to recognize that wlan0 exists as an interface, despite that system-config-networking knows about it.

I killed tap to click on the synaptics touchpad by adding

   Option "SHMConfig" "yes"
   Option "MaxTapTime" "0"

to the Input Device / Synaptics part of /etc/X11/xorg.conf

I was only able to get vesa xorg support to work so far, but you can select 1280x800 layout after setting a generic LCD monitor of 1280x800 resolution. This is the main deficit left now, no xv.

In general it was pretty encouraging. The chipset in the laptop is very new but everything works to a greater or lesser extent, most of it to the greater extent. In a way that makes a new rod for Fedora's back because it is so close to perfect that the remaining annoyances are correspondingly more annoying...

-Andy