Re: Yum - Removal of dependant packages.

ded wrote:
Hi list,

I installed FC5 on one of my test machines Monday afternoon. My
first impression is that it is very stable, everything pretty much
works as expected and it's a pleasant to use system.

I do have one question that I haven't been able to find an answer
for as yet. I installed licq (and the four or five packages that
came with it) on Monday afternoon. Later I decided I didn't need it,
so I used Yum to remove licq. I was a bit surprised when Yum only
listed licq for removal with no mention of the other programs licq
pulled in when it was installed.

Does Yum not remove dependant packages or did I need to do more than
Yum remove <package>?

You need to remove the dependent packages yourself. The rpm database does not contain any information on which packages are installed as dependencies, so there is no way for yum to know what to remove.

There has been a thread on this on fedora-devel-list this week:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-devel-list/2006-April/msg01121.html

Paul.