Re: How does Fedora want "ordinary people" to manage mobile networkcomputing?

Hi,

Em Terça 25 Abril 2006 01:20, Paul Johnson escreveu:
> I'm an "old hand" at Linux, and am able to make my wired & wireless
> connections work, but only with some difficulty.  Yesterday I helped a
> young lady install linux on a laptop and found it darned-near
> impossible to explain to her how she is supposed to handle the problem
> of going for place-to-place, using different wired and wireless
> networks.  So I wondered if the Gnome or KDE folks had worked this
> out.
>
> Just for example, I need to have these devices configured
>
> 1. Wired home router: dhcp
> 2. Wired for office 1: static ip, gateway & /etc/resolv.conf
> 3. Wired for office 2: static ip, gateway & /etc/resolv.conf
> 4. Wireless for home router, SSID="home1" and 24 digit WEP key
> 5. Wireless in pizza restaurant, SSID="fred's pizza", but no WEP key
> 6. Wireless at school, SSID="JAYHAWK", no WEP key
> 7. Wireless at George's house, SSID="casa", 10 digit WEP key

In FC's repositories (extras) there's an application named netgo, which is
intended to address exactly the problems you've described in your e-mail.
Since I don't use mobile computing, I didn't install it yet, but I think it's
worth trying.
Do a "yum install netgo" and tell us your opinions about it.

[]'s
Marcelo