Re: mysterious keyboard, mouse lockups with FC5

Stephen Liu wrote:
> Poweroff without PC power-off is one of the remaining problem on this
> FC5_64 box.  The cause is adding "noacpi" on kernel option at boot.
> Without adding it PC will hang frequently.  I don't know whether
> upgrade BIOS will be its solution.  OR there is other remedy.
>
> Any suggestion?  TIA

Well, there are two ways to do soft power-off. APM doesn't work in SMP
mode, so you'd have to turn off one of your cores (you've got a dual
core box, IIRC).

The other way is APCI.

Yes, getting a new BIOS sounds like the best approach. Otherwise,
there's a small chance that new kernels will be able to work around
whatever bug you're experiencing.

I assume that you've moaned to your vendor...

James.

--
E-mail address: james | For every complex problem, there is a solution
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | that is simple, neat, and wrong.