Re: Locking a console session

On Sat, April 22, 2006 8:37 pm, Ali Helmy said:
> Hey mates,
>
> When logged in to x-server [runlevel5] i can easily lock down the computer
> so that any access requires the user to enter a password first, while
> still
> keeping everything running in the background... Is there someway i can do
> that on runlevel3? Lock the computer so that I can go away and be sure no
> one can do anything without the password, and yet keep the procs ruunning
> in
> the background?

I would suggest the use of /usr/sbin/screen for something like this. You
can login, run a screen session (run man screen for full explanation),
with screen you can run your normal programs and commands (example wget)
close or remove the session from active view and logout.  With a later
login either @ the same machine or even remotely you can screen -r to
retrieve the session. You can run multiple "screen"'s and even multiple
shells within one "screen"

Check it out, it might be of assistance.

> --
> Cheers,
>      A. Helmy

*Trevor "TeC" Christian*