FC5 - Thinkpad T20 DVD-ROM drive

Yes - this is old slow hardware.
Still works great for many things. I use it more than my much faster
desktops.

The DVD-ROM drive I have is Toshiba Model SD-C2302 6x DVD-ROM and is the
original DVD-ROM drive this laptop shipped with.

I rarely use it.
I could not install FC5 from it because it complained it could not find
some xml file related to yum (I think repomd.xml) after mounting the
DVD. So I did a network install - that worked. Interestingly, the DVD
did pass media check - my thought was maybe Anaconda wasn't patient
enough for this old hardware to finish mounting the disk.

Anyway - I rarely use it, but it use to work perfectly when I did.
I noticed though that now it always complains of an I/O error whenever
trying to copy anything from a CD or DVD. Linux is the only OS I run,
can't test under Windows.

Is my drive dead (do I need to buy a new one) or is there an issue with
these drives in FC5? I suspect the drive is dead - I just finally had to
replace the hard drive, I replaced the battery last year, so things are
starting to go - but I'd hate to spend the money if it is a driver
issue.

If anyone has information on this - I'd appreciate it. I'm kind of
lusting after a new laptop (must have 3 buttons on built in mouse, seems
only IBM knows about X11 in laptop design), but just not ready to spend
the money ...