Re: how do I get the number of "Page Not Found" errors in last 4 hours

On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 23:40 -0800, Kam Leo wrote:
> Search for "404" in your Apache log file.

Though, that won't fulfil their want to search through just the last few
hours worth.  And, you'll also get the characters 404 found in other
places.

To just see 404 results, you'd want to search for " 404 (including the
leading quote followed by a space) so you'll match the 404 response
after a URI (which has quotes around it in the usual Apache logs).

The simplest way I can think of checking for *recent* 404 errors is to
have logs that rotate fairly quickly, and only look through the latest
one.  Otherwise, you're going to have to parse the dates in the log
files.

I suppose this all depends on what your needs are.  If you just want to
fix up the errors, you don't need to be too fancy; and there are error
checkers that you can use to crawl through your website to specifically
find things like 404 errors.  But if you want statistics, you probably
want to find some log analyser program.

I read messages from the public lists.