Re: FC5: X won't start

Am Fri, 21 Apr 2006 22:32:58 -0400
hat Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Sam Varshavchik) folgendes
geschrieben:

Hi,

> Take it up with Nvidia.  Nvidia is a closed, proprietary software
> driver that cannot be debugged.  Furthermore, depending on how you've
> installed it, Nvidia's scripts often overwrite key xorg libraries,
> permanently screwing up your system completely, beyond all repair.

i can understand your problem with a non open source driver in fedora.
But the NVidia driver is free ;-)

In my years using NVidia drivers under Redhat (think 5.x) , these
drivers never screw up my system.

In the early years i use linux (10 years ago) i have to use an opengl
card, and i thanked god, that nvidia makes a driver that speed up
opengl under linux. OK, it was not open-source, but it works and
the gl speed was 1000 times faster than the original X11 driver. For
me, speed was an argument, because i maked gl visualization of
3d fluid stream data. The alternative was a sgi sytem, that we had in
our university and use MESA to visualize it, but IMHO a bad alternative
and for a student not payable.

And the driver is more stable and the installation is much easier today
than 10 years ago.

And now to the problem itself:

Take a look in the log file from X, post the device section of the
xorg.conf here, is the kernel module running? Are there entries
in /etc/modprobe.conf?
Have you installed the nvidia driver or do you have problems with the
native driver?

And please: Quote, and do not quote ALL, when you answer ;-)

CU

Jörn Rink

--
Nine (not 9)