Re: FC-5. Cannot install in graphical or text modes

On 4/21/06, Kam Leo <kam.leo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 4/21/06, Jonathan Berry <berryja@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[snip]
> > Some more information about your system would be helpful.  Apparently
> > the Fedora installer doesn't play well with something in your system.
> > That could be any number of things.
> >
> > > Are you installing x86 or x86_64? If it is x86_64 wait for FC6 or
> > > later. Perhaps by that time the drivers will have matured and match
> > > the x86 ones.
> >
> > What?  I have used x86_64 Fedora since FC2 and have had no problems
> > with 64-bit drivers.  What are you talking about?  Sure, some hardware
> > may have issues, but that is generally true regardless of
> > architecture.  This is an over-generalization and is bad advice.
> >

> Really, then why can I install FC5-x86_32 without any problems but can
> only install FC5-x86_64 in text mode? I am not the only one
> experiencing this problem.

I don't know.  Maybe your graphics card is a piece of junk.  I really
have no way to tell from what you have written.  Perhaps you also
could follow the above advise and supply some information beyond "it
doesn't work for me."  The problem just might get fixed.  Whatever the
case, I still fail to see how you made the logical leap from your one
set of hardware not working to all 64-bit drivers are less stable than
their 32-bit counterparts.

> > > If x86 try an NFS or FTP install.
> >
> > How is that going to help?  As far as I know, the same installer is
> > used, so the problem is probably still going to be present.  Perhaps I
> > am wrong?
>
> This gets rid of CDROM disc issues that many mailing list posters have
> encountered.

Problems before the installation starts?  I'm not sure exactly, but it
sounds like the install is haging fairly early for the OP.  Granted,
not much info was given to go on.  Still, it seems like a long shot to
me.  Of course, I don't have any better suggestions at the moment :).

Jonathan