Re: Difference between Debian and other flavours of Linux

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 05:28:20PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:

> They don't have a release schedule.  That means if they haven't
> done a release for a long time and you want to run something
> current, you have to use the version they call 'unstable'.

If you're running sid in production, you should not be running sid.

http://www.debian.org/releases/

Debian always has at least three releases in active maintenance: “stable”, “testing” and “unstable”.

stable
    The “stable” distribution contains the latest officially released distribution of Debian.

    This is the production release of Debian, the one which we primarily recommend using.

    The current “stable” distribution of Debian GNU/Linux is version 3.1r2, codenamed sarge. It was released on April 19th, 2006.
testing
    The “testing” distribution contains packages that haven't been accepted into a “stable” release yet, but they are in the queue for that. The main advantage of using this distribution is that it has more recent versions of software.

    See the Debian FAQ for more information on what is “testing” and how it becomes “stable”.

    The current “testing” distribution is etch.
unstable
    The “unstable” distribution is where active development of Debian occurs. Generally, this distribution is run by developers and those who like to live on the edge.

    The “unstable” distribution is called sid.

> That makes it your fault when it breaks, and they can still
> claim their release version is stable, whether it is something
> you want to run now or not.

If you're running a mission critical system, and you're not
running a Debian stable (or an equivalent in *BSD land) or
a SLES or RHEL (where at least you have somebody else to blame
when it breaks) and don't really know what you're doing
you've got very few choices.

If you want a Debianish distro which is more cutting edge
than Sarge, try Ubuntu.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperDrake is planned for June 2006.