Re: partition management in linux - [solved]

on 04/20/2006 07:29 PM Tim wrote:
oleksandr korneta:
The goal is to delete the fat32 partition and extend the ext3 partition to the whole drive without losing the data. There is no way for me to backup this data - it is 200Gb drive. Neither gparted nor qtparted cannot handle this task (I assume these are based on the same lib). Presumably, parted will fail as well.

Is there any tool for linux (preferably opensource) that is capable of accomplishing of this task?

Many years ago I had to resize a partition before I could put Linux onto
a drive.  If I recall correctly, it was a Linux tool called "fips" that
did it.

As a convenience to our customers, we provide the FIPS utility. This is a freely available program that can resize FAT (File Allocation Table) partitions. It is included on the Red Hat Linux CD-ROM in the dosutils directory. If you are using NTFS partitions, FIPS will not work.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/install-guide/s1-x86-dualboot-fips.html

presumably it would not help me

--
regards,
Oleksandr Korneta

/The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from./