Re: Wireless Routers for Linux?

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Chris Mason (Lists) wrote:

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

I bought a Linksys WRT54g, gave up on it and returned it.  The
installation software only works with Windows ...

Strangely enough, I went out and bought a wrt54g a few years ago
simply because it ran linux and one could administer it as any other
linux machine.

Only the version 3 and 4 ran linux, the version 5's went back to vsworks because Linksys got GPL shy. They do still produce a version with Linux but you have to hunt for it.

Actually they went back to vxworks because they could shrink the image to fit in 1MB of flash and 2MB of ram whereas the linux one is 4MB and 16MB respectivly... so their bill of materials is cheaper and they make more money (decide what you will about that).

the openwrt hardware table has a lot more info on the various models.

Also you will note the existance of the wrt54gl (linux version, released after version 5 of the wrt54g) which continues to run linux abliet at a $20 price premium.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx