Re: Wireless Routers for Linux?

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Aaron Konstam wrote:

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 15:21 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
John Mason Jr wrote:

Bob Goodwin wrote:

Can anyone suggest a "wireless" router they have had success with?

any ap that you can run openwrt on.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware

I've had very good luck with the Buffalo WHR-G54S, which is cheap ($53) runs linux from the outset, and works even better with openwrt white russian on it.

In production networks we use almost all cisco 1200 or variat ap's but they're a little pricey (~$700 with A & G) for home use.

I bought a Linksys WRT54g, gave up on it and returned it.  The
installation software only works with Windows and our efforts at
installing it on a Mac were frustrating to say the least. Tech
support is through New Delhi, the people are fine but the language
problem is near impossible!  That was replaced with a Belkin 54g
which at least came with usable installation software  but the
quality is poor,  I'm about to return the second one with an
intermittent power connector which has been causing maddening problems.

You should be able to enter all the setup info via web interface

Yes, if you can bring up the web interface, it doesn't always work.

My FC5 Linux system has a Linksys WET54G "wireless" bridge.  I
discovered that when you get that configured wrong there is no way to
restore factory defaults except with a Windows computer and the
supplied installation software.

Linksys user manual shows a reset button, but this may be different
than your model/version number

The instructions tell you to press reset and/or pull the power plug and
if that fails use the install software.  I have never been able to
verify that the reset button does anything of value to me?  I've pressed
it numerous times to no avail.
I think you have to od more than push it . You have to hold id for 10
seconds for the reset to be effected.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx