Re: Fedora (RedHat) doesn't release complete Kernel Source for FC5

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 06:12 -0700, Johnny Deep wrote:
> Maybe they think that Fedora users are to stupid to compile their own
> kernel. But if you wan't take away TPM features from kernel or the fat
> present in the vendor kernel because you need a quickiest boot up you
> can't do it. In the past someone of them said that people downloading
> full kernel source steal band for nothing. RedHat is the first Linux
> vendor as made a lot of money using the free work of a lot of
> developer in the world they use it nowadays too, the work of pieces of
> Fedora is merged into RedHat Enterprise Linux and they don't give a
> little bandwidth. Personally I'll switch to Ubuntu Dapper as soon as
> it'll come out.

A. For the 99,999th time: Fedora != RedHat.
B. Nothing forces Fedora (or RedHat for this matter) from removing
chunks of the kernel code they don't need/use. IANAL but AFAIK the GPL
only requires Fedora to release the sources it used to generate the
binary kernel that was -actually- distributed.
C. It may be my limited English, but your post is fairly incoherent (as
rants tend to be). Which parts of the kernel source are you missing? Why
do you need them? Did you post a RFE in bugzilla or message in -devel
asking for the missing files? What was the answer?
D. Nothing stops -you- from downloading a vanilla kernel and using it.
Forcing -Fedora- to do what -you- want, just because -you- want it, is
simply childish.

On a side note, if you're looking for help and/or looking for fix things
that you consider broken, this post is the last way on earth to
accomplish your target. If you're just looking to spam this ML with
empty threats about switching to Ubuntu (as in 'this is a free world -
use what-ever Linux that fits -your- needs'), good bye and good luck
with Ubuntu.

Gilboa