Re: Missing dependency libpisock.so.8 for evolution

Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 01:21:10 +0100
Leon <sdl.web@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Erik Hemdal <ehemdal@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Software Updater fails to apply updates on my system because an
update for evolution requires libpisock.so.8.  Same thing happens
with a conventional 'yum update' -- the dependency check fails.

My system has libpisock.so.9 installed with the pilot-link package.
It's a fresh install of FC5.  This is only the second yum update I
have run on the machine.  So that explains why the dependency is
missing, but not how it came about.  Is this due to a conflict
between evolution and pilot-link; a user error; or a packaging
problem somewhere along the line?

Can't find anything in the recent list postings, which is why I'm
posting.  Anyone else see this?

Thanks!   Erik
I saw the same but when I did yum update one hour later, it's
solved. Depends on the mirror you use.

Hello, Everyone
I (hopefully) just re-read this entire thread before I sent this, and I
THINK that this aspect of this problem has not been mentioned.
sylpheed-claws (from Fedora Extras) requires libpisock.so.9, which was
provided by pilot-link-0.12.0-0.pre4.5.2.1.i386.rpm.  See the following:
--> Processing Dependency: libpisock.so.9 for package: sylpheed-claws
Error: Missing Dependency: libpisock.so.9 is needed by package
sylpheed-claws

BUT, kdepim requires libpisock.so.8 (which comes with the recent update
- pilot-link-0.11.8-12.4.fc5.i386.rpm.  See the following:
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: libpisock.so.8 for package: kdepim

I just finished playing around with this, and I don't WANT to go
through it again (but I will if you think it is necessary)  But I found
that if I want to install sylpheed-claws from Fedora Extras, I cannot
have kdepim or any of it's dependencies installed.  Not a HUGE deal,
since my main installation of KDE is compiled from source (Branch 3.5
from KDE SVN)  But this might affect someone else.

Just so you can see that both versions of libpisock.so were mentioned
in the same yum transaction, see the following:

--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: libpisock.so.8 for package: kdepim
--> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Downloading header for pilot-link to pack into transaction set.
pilot-link-0.11.8-12.4.fc 100% |=========================|  21 kB    00:00
---> Package pilot-link.i386 2:0.11.8-12.4.fc5 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: pilot-link = 1:0.12.0-0.pre4.5.2.1 for package: pilot-link-devel
--> Processing Dependency: libpisock.so.9 for package: sylpheed-claws
--> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Downloading header for pilot-link-devel to pack into transaction set.
pilot-link-devel-0.11.8-1 100% |=========================|  14 kB    00:00
---> Package pilot-link-devel.i386 2:0.11.8-12.4.fc5 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: libpisock.so.9 for package: sylpheed-claws
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: libpisock.so.9 is needed by package sylpheed-claws

Admittedly, I arrived at this point by uninstalling evolution and all
of it's dependencies, then removing all pilot-related RPM's (this
resulted in me removing a few KDE RPM's.  So the above contextual
output is actually the result of the following command:
yum install kdepim kdepim-devel kdeaddons kdeaddons-atlantikdesigner
kdesdk kdesdk-devel kdewebdev kdewebdev-devel kdevelop

I assume that the new update for pilot-link that I saw mentioned in
this thread will fix this problem.

It looks to me that FC5 sylpheed-claws needs a rebuild to pick up the downgraded pilot-link. That's one for bugzilla.

Paul.