Re: FC4->FC5 upgrade problems

mkalenkov wrote:
Hi,

I tried upgrade my FC4 box to FC5 from DVD, but I got the message

Error mounting device /mnt/disk1/home as /home: No such file or directory This most likely means this partition has not been formatted.
Press OK to reboot your system.

The only action at this point is to push the "OK" button for the
reboot.

My fstab file is following

# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for
details
LABEL=/         /          ext3    defaults      1 1
LABEL=/boot     /boot      ext3    defaults      1 2
/dev/hda8       /mnt/disk1 ext3    defaults      1 2
/mnt/disk1/usr  /usr       none    bind          0 0
/mnt/disk1/home /home      none    bind          0 0
/mnt/disk1/var  /var       none    bind          0 0

none            /dev/pts   devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none            /dev/shm   tmpfs   defaults        0 0
none            /proc      proc    defaults        0 0
none            /sys       sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hdb3       swap       swap    defaults        0 0
I skip several unimportant lines from fstab (mounting CD-ROM,
DVD, floppy, and win partitions). It is not clear from fstab that
/dev/hdb2=/
/dev/hdb1=/boot
hda1, hda5, hda6, hda7 are win partitions.

This fstab is correct. I found (from ALT-F2 console) that anaconda installer
mounted / and /boot correctly to /mnt/sysimage, then skiped line

/dev/hda8 /mnt/disk1 ext3 defaults 1 2

(why??), and then failed mount /home.

Is it possibbe to say anaconda installer what partitions should be mounted?

Any ideas how to upgrade such system?

It's at times like this that you wished you'd used LVM instead of having to shuffle partitions around using bind mounts etc.

I suspect anaconda is failing because when it's running, /mnt/disk1/usr is actually /mnt/sysimage/mnt/disk1/usr and hence /mnt/disk1/usr etc/ cannot be found.

You might work around this problem by getting rid of the bind mounts and using (relative) symlinks instead.

Paul.