Re: Information and/or Suggestiong needed

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

>    The company I work for just opened a new office a blocks down the
> street (read: 1.5 miles.)  We have a dual T1 at our main location, and a
> single T1 at the second location.  This was discussed and planned months
> ago, each T1 goes to our ISP, separate subnets, no connection between
> our offices.
>
>    Of course, today I'm presented with the question: what would it take
> to link the two offices together?  Would've been so nice to have known
> this BEFORE we installed the second T1 as I would've done it differently
> (more of a peer-to-peer link between the buildings.)
>
>    Anyway, so the setup as it stands is, T1 here and T1 there.  Each
> with their own subnet (completely different range as well.)  Both
> locations have a Fedora machine with iptables acting as a firewall for
> the internal networks.  In order for us to transfer data from one
> location to the other, the information is essentially being dumped onto
> the big ole Internet and sent out (or received at the other end.)  What
> they want to know now is if there's anyway to link the locations
> together and possibly speed up the transfer of data, just between the
> locations (while still retaining the setup as it stands right now,
> without incurring the cost of yet another link, just between the
> buildings.)
>
>    Is this even a feasible thing to do, at this point in the game?  And
> if so, I'm open for suggestions.

some type of vpn is your answer.

if you're interested in configuring software, use an opensource vpn
client on each fedora router.  openvpn?

if you'd rather have hardware do the vpn, cisco has reliable soho vpn
routers that have excellent performance.  cisco 871 router ~ $500 usd.

--
Anthony

Website: http://messinet.com
Gallery: http://gallery.messinet.com/main.php?g2_itemId=34

GnuPG Key / Fingerprint:
0xB0014A4E / 8F89 5E72 8DF0 BCF0 10BE 9967 92DC 35DC B001 4A4E

Registered Linux User #389089 - Get counted!: http://counter.li.org