Re: What backup method(s) do you use?

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 07:55:14PM +0200, Ingemar Nilsson wrote:
> "Arthur Pemberton" <pemboa@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > I would like to know what backup methods do you use for your data. So
> > far, I am aware of:
>
> At work, I use Tivoli Storage Manager, but then we have an IBM Tape Library
> there that runs this system. At home, I do manual backups to my Linksys
> NSLU2 NAS.

At home I have a 250GB drive in my linux box (in addition to the Linux
installation). A cron job backs up both that machine and my wif'es windoze
box onto it six nights a week using a custom shellscript. It overwrites
the oldest backup each time it runs, such that Mon is overwritten by
Thursday, Tuesday by Friday, Wednesday by Saturday, and Sunday it just
mounts the drive and does fsck on it to make sure it staysclean. The drive
is mounted only for the backup, and is configured to spin down after a
very short idle period (5-10 minutes, as I remember) so it should have
a good long life. I hope.

 .----    Fred Smith   /
 /    /  /   /__) /  /  /__) .+'           Home: fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx