Re: nfs in FC5

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 April 2006 14:49, Frank-Michael Fischer wrote:
>
>>     To access Windows shares, double-click on the Windows Network (SMB)
>>     object. A list of the Windows shares available to you is displayed
>>     in the file manager window.
>>

> Small comment - I think this is somewhat misleading, as samba can equally well
> handle linux shares.  I use it on a mixed lan, no nfs, linux > windows >
> linux and Linux < > linux.
>
> I use kde.  For some reason I can't access any of the samba shares from the
> network browser in the konqueror sidebar, but I have a tray applet icon that
> gives me instant access to all network shares.
>
> If you can't get nfs to do what you want, you could try this way.
>
> Anne

Thanks, Anne,

my problem is: I can get basically any linux distro to do what's
possible. Right now, I am in the middle of testing and evaluating FC5
which is a new distro to me. (I do these evaluations for a living). Now
before I give FC5 a "D" for not supporting NFS servers properly out of
the box, so "normal" users are forced into editing fstab, I want to
doublecheck through this mailing list, whether this flaw can be fixed or
if we have got just a case, where the help docs claim some functionality
that is just not there, not even with extra repos.

The disadvantage of using smb (cifs) over nfs on a linux server is at
least twofold: slower transfers and higher cpu usage on the server when
going samba.

FMF