Re: how to setup a remote login servic

On 4/17/06, Stephen Liu <satimis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Jay,
>
> > 2.  Unblock port 22 on your home machine.
> How to unlock port 22 ?

It's probably already unblocked, unless you've changed the default
Fedora installation of iptables.

> > 3.  Forward port 22 from your home router or other border device to
> > you home machine.
>
> My home PC is connected to a ADSL modem.  What shall I do?

Follow your modem provider's instructions for forwarding a port to a
machine.  Usually this involves accessing a web page on your modem.

> > 4.  From your work machine, "ssh -l username home_machine_IP_addr"
> For dynamic IP then I have to check it before leaving home?

Yes.

> Would ISP
> re-assign another IP_addre while the PC is connectiong to broadband?

Possibly.

> If YES, how can I check IP_addre remotely?

Enable remote access on your ADSL modem, although I personally
wouldn't recommend doing that.  As an alternative, get a domain name
and an account set up with DynDNS (or other dynamic DNS provider) and
install ddclient on your home machine.  ddclient extracts the IP from
your ADSL modem at prescribed intervals and informs your dynamic DNS
provider, who then updates your DNS record(s).  Using that approach,
you'll be able to ssh to yourdomain.tld instead of to an IP address.

Jay