Re: A problem or two! - audio and cdrw

Andrew Sylve wrote:
I'm very new to Linux as a whole...but not to DOS or anything so I'm not totally lost. But anyways, I've been having a few problems getting FC5 properly installed on my PC. 1. My Rockwell Audio/Modem isn't producing any sound at all (May be a hardware problem, but I'm not sure at this point). I've tried to install all the drivers and everything, but FC5's version of the Linux Core doesn't have a driver listed for it. I tried the generic driver, but that's not working either.
Some useful information can be obtained from:
# lspci
find your audio (multimedia?) device (reply with it's line) and then
# lspci -n -s 00:06.0 <- replace with the values at left of your audio dev. this shows the pci pnp id's.
#lsmod

2. I cannot get Gnome to recognize my Memorex CDRW. So it will not play CDs, and will actually crash.
# tail -f /var/log/messages
then what messages occur when you insert a data CD ?
an audio CD ?
Which (of the zillion) program are you trying to use to play the CD ?
Are you expecting direct digital extraction or via analog cable to the soundcard ?

I don't know why these items are causing problems, but having the info from above in the thread is a useful first step.

DaveT.