Re: Will you recommend fedora to a newcomer?

--- "Jacques B." <jjrboucher@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 4/15/06, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > Not a problem unique to Linux, though.  I've seen
> plenty of Windows
> > users who've just got used to <something> crashing
> while they're using
> > it, or they just give up using it.
>
> No question it's not unique to Linux.  But there is
> no arguing that MS
> Windows is more user friendly than most (if not all)
> Linux distros
> when it comes to installing applications, plugins,
> mounting drives,
> etc.  Can a Linux distro be made to be nearly as
> user friendly?  Most
> likely it can (and yes I realize useability and
> security are at
> opposite ends of the spectrum so a more user
> friendly OS is typically
> less secure because it's designed to remove decision
> making from the
> user and manage it through the OS and the
> application trying to
> install itself - but that's not the issue being
> discussed here).  But
> at the end of the day Win32 developers have an easy
> task of creating
> an install routine to automate installing their
> application for end
> users because of a common environment among the
> users.  Linux poses
> more of a challenge to a developer because of the
> various distros with
> differing packages installed (so some may lack
> dependencies that an
> application would require), different kernels,
> different folder
> structures - all which can impact a seemless
> install.  Hence why they
> (MS) can develop a more user-friendly environment.
>
> I'm not trying to advocate MS Windows over Linux.
> Simply pointing out
> the obvious that must be considered as it relates to
> the original
> question.  MS Windows is easier than Linux for end
> users who want a
> point and click OS that automates just about
> everything for them.  So
> if you are dealing with that level of user it
> becomes even more
> important to find just the right distro that best
> meets the user's
> daily requirements.  Otherwise you'll quickly lose
> that user.
>
> I use both OS.  I rarely face a challenge when
> trying to install
> something in MS Windows, or when a browser plugin
> tries to
> auto-install itself.  I can't say the same for
> Linux.  That doesn't
> mean MS Windows is better.  We are talking purely
> user friendliness,
> the feature being sought by the original poster for
> a Linux distro.
>
> Jacques B.
>
> --

http://www.michaelhorowitz.com/Linux.vs.Windows.html

There are many things that are different.  One very
important one that you could have forgotten is that
Windows is so user friendly that it installs bad
programs without you knowing it(spyware, adware,
trojans).  You need to constantly apply updates,
update virus definitions to avoid problems.  I use
Windows too, and I am conscious about these issues.

Regards,

Antonio