Re: Will you recommend fedora to a newcomer?

--- "Jacques B." <jjrboucher@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If you check
> http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major,
> they
> list the top 5 beginner friendly distros as:
>
> 1. Xandros Desktop
> 2. MEPIS Linux
> 3. Linspire
> 4. PCLinuxOS
> 5. Ark Linux
>
> Jacques B.
>
> --

I think that the people that want to give a Linux a
try should consider booting a live CD.

>From the ones that you list, PCLinuxOS, Mepis are run
from liveCD, I do also believe that Linspire has a
LiveCD.  The newbies should try them on an evaluation
basis and then they can conclude on their own which if
any deserves to be on their hard drives.

I would personally recommend the users to try these
Live CD's

Knoppix
Kanotix
Slax
Berry
Linux4all

Check out this page for other(s) based on Fedora
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DerivedDistributions/LiveCDs

Each one of these has its advantages/disadvantages.
The live CD's illustrate the powers of their parent
distributions.  The newbies/newcomers then decide on
their own which one/ones they like.

I would truly recommend Fedora for any newbie.  It is
polished it comes with a great bundle of software,
what it does not come with, we can get with yum,
install from source, download rpms's, etc.  The new
users can read Stanton Finley's installation
instructions, fedoraforum faq, mauriat miranda's
installation notes, the new fedora frog scripts(check
archives), etc.  There are alot of tutorials, lot's of
documentation, and lot's of friendly people on the
fedora-list's that can help/advice.  They just need to
get their feet wet.  The decision is left to them as
to what they want on their systems.  Maybe they will
like liveCD concept, and run from liveCD and take
linux anywhere.

Regards,

Antonio