Re: Will you recommend fedora to a newcomer?

"Jacques B." <jjrboucher@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 4/15/06, Leon <sdl.web@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Zubin Bharucha <z.bharucha@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> > FC5 is awesome. What better way to learn to use Linux than fixing a
>> > few bugs every now and then? :D
>> > -Zubin
>>
>> True. That's the very reason I like linux. However most of the users
>> just want things to work out of box.
>>
>> --
>> Leon
>>
>> --
>>
> What will they be using it for?  That can impact which distro will
> provide the smoothest transition.  Surfing the web?  E-mail?  Office
> Suite? burning CDs & playing MP3s? accessing NTFS volume?  Video
> editing? Programming? etc.  I'm not knowledgeable enough to recommend
> the best solution.  But even those who are will be able to provide the
> best advice if they know what the end user needs out of a distro, and
> what is not important to them.  Some distros provide better tools out
> of the box so to speak for specific applications than others.
>
> Jacques B.

Daily tasks: email, word processing, web surfing etc.
Entertainment: iTunes, video, mp3 etc.

However all of these tasks can easily done using any modern linux
distribution.

The most important issue for a laptop user is suspend to ram/disk. I
found FC5 can't do this reliably. This indicates they might lose
unsaved data particularly for users spoiled by windows.

--
Leon