Re: New Install FC5 Thinkpad 600e 2645-4AU 3com Megahertz 574B eth0 Fails to Activate

Terin Lyr D'Amico wrote:
Hello,

I've been trying to install FC5 on a Thinkpad 600e (2645-4AU). I'm
installing via a good DVD image.

I can get through the installation process without a hitch (if I pick the
right packages), and when I bootup, I have two problems.
Maybe just use the package selection defaults to get started.

I've tried two different cards - a Xircom cardbus card, and a 3com 574.

The O/S can't even identify/see the Cardbus card, but can identify/see the
3com.

So, it appears FC5 has an issue with Cardbus.
No, more likely compatibility with that laptop. I have success with a HP Omnibook 4150 with a Xircom RBEM56G-100 RealPort Cardbus Ethernet 10/100+Modem 56. (In fact I installed once using the FC5 rescue, and ftp install method; another time I used FC4 that was already on it to boot the install image: the xircom network was fine then as well. (Bit tricky doing much with a 1.5GB drive though!)

That's OK, because I prefer to use the 3com.

When I try to activate the 3com card (DHCP), it fails to determine the IP
information for eth0.
Does the link LED on your switch light up ? Is the switch autosense ? Perhaps FC5 is not letting the card set auto speed, and sets the wrong speed ?

I noticed on bootup that the system was disabling IRQ 10. After disabling
apmd and cpuspeed, I stopped seeing that message during bootup, although it
may still be getting disabled.

I tried:

1. Adding irqpoll to grub.conf.
2. Adding acpi=noirq.
3. Disabling cpuspeed and apmd services.
4. Updating the BIOS to the latest (and last) version.
5. Adding acpi=ht
6. Configuring eth0 with static IP.  I suspect it didn't work because my
router is set for DHCP.  I have to keep router as DHCP because of my VOIP
service.
The router might need to be a dhcp client (pppoe) on the WAN side, but it may be OK to give internal clients static IPs. Do you know the router IP address ? Did you make a static ip on the same network ?

Without the network connectivity, I can't download any files to possibly
update/apply patches.
Well, while you have FC4 running, you could download the FC5 updates folder (it's not too big so far), so that you have 'em when you boot FC5.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anything interesting in dmesg ?
Try booting without card inserted ?
Then tail -f /var/log/messages, and insert the card.
Use lsmod: is the appropriate network module loaded and card services loaded ?

Also, one of the 'linux on laptops' sites might be more helpful.

DaveT.