Re: I can't resolve from the command line but I can from a browser.

On Monday, April 10, 2006 9:21 AM -0600 Andrew <fedora@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This makes no sense to me.  I can go to www.yahoo.com in a browser but I
can't ping yahoo.com and nothing on my network blocks pings or yahoo.com.
I also can't ping local hosts in my hosts list but I can ping their ip
address.

The DNS resolver can be tested with dig:

  dig yahoo.com

That should dump the DNS request sent and the reply received.

This does bypass the hosts file and only tests the DNS path.

My resolv.conf declares 127.0.0.1 as my nameserver and I use the caching-nameserver package to provide my own DNS. But I do have to set the DHCP client to not overwrite resolv.conf.