Problem booting FC5 after good install and doing the "first boot" configuration

Perhaps someone can suggest some troubleshooting tips (or even a fix!)
for a problem I have encountered.  Basically, I installed FC5 on a
system.  After the install I did the first boot configuration.  It told
me to reboot.  Ever since then, booting hangs after an attempt is made
to start avahi-daemon.  I get a screen with a blue background and
then.... the system hangs.

Here are more details about the hardware and system configuration.

The system: FC5 (86_64) freshly installed (no other OS or version) on
the only hard drive in a very simple system.  There is an optical drive
(shares the IDE bus with the hard drive).  The processor is 2.66 GHz
Intel 64-bit single-core.  There is a gig of RAM.  The chipsets are
Intel ICH6 and 915GL.  The video is integrated on the motherboard (Intel
Graphics Media Accelerator 900).

The hard drive previously had FC3 installed.  That installation was for
a 32-bit Pentium processor.  (It was a 450 MHz Pentium II, fwiw.)  I
removed the hard drive from its original system and put it in the system
described above.  Everything worked fine, except it was FC3 and I wanted
FC5.  So I backed up the files that I wanted to save, and did an install
of FC5.

The install of FC5 went flawlessly.  After the install, I rebooted and
went through the first-boot configuration.  One thing that I did was to
turn off SELinux.  (Let's save that conversation for a different thread.
 :-))  I also changed the display resolution to the same value I had
been using under FC3.  Everything else was very vanilla.  You know the
rest.  :-(  It appears that something changed as a result of the first
boot configuration and is causing this problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding a fix for this?  Or
additional troubleshooting that I should do before submitting a bug
report?  Since the system ran FC3 just fine, I doubt this problem is due
to hardware.

TIA,

Debbie Deutsch