Re-Grub crc error

Having installed and reinstalled Fedora Core 5, my grub
loader simply will not boot Fedora, yet will do so for
Windows XP. When trying to load Fedora I get the following
response:-

> Boot
> Uncompressing Linux
> Crc error
> --System halted

On first glance it sounds like either a bad drive sector,
or a bad
install. Did you do the media check on the FC5 media? A CRC

error (short
for cyclic redundancy check) is usually associated with a
bad file
copy/corrupt file/bad disk sector issue.

Thank you Mark Haney.

A CRC is a Cyclic Redundancy Check. It is a means by which
one
can check for corruption of data. Simply put, it's very much

like checking a balance sheet by "casting out nines". If the

"nines sums" are not the same, then the computations cannot
be correct. In this case, the kernel has the "nines sum"
(CRC) appended. The one computed when the kernel was created

is not the same as the one computed after the kernel was
decompressed, so something went wrong.

Thank you Mike McCarty

After receiving Mark & Mike's helpful e-mail messages I refo
rmatted my disc to no avail; but then replaced the hard driv
e and yes yes yes all went well.

My thanks to you both.

B. M. Candlish.