Re: pirut (FC5 additional package installation help)

Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 16:06 -0700, Kevin Grover wrote:
>
>>I installed FC5 (at work) from an NFS mount.  I picked the 'customize
>>later' option on intial install rather than spend the time to select
>>individual packages.  When I run 'Add/Remove Software' from the Gnome
>>(metacity) WM, a GUI pops up, it thinks for a while and gives me an
>>error:
>>
>>'unable to retrieve software information'
>>
>>[[Note much help there.  Reminds me of an old fortan compiler that
>>simply said 'No' if the source file had any error.]]
>>
>>When I click OK the GUI closes (all windows go away),
>>
>>After poking around, I figured out what program was running (pirut)
>>and ran it from the command line.  Now I see an error there:
>>
>>'ERROR: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core'
>>
>>I looked for help on pirut on the system
>>the program has --help or -h option
>>no man page
>>no info page
>>nothing found in included help (html)
>>/usr/doc/pirut* was useless
>>briefly looked at pirut python code, no help there
>>
>>Is there a way I can get pirut to look at the nfs mounted image for
>>install packages instead of going over the net?  I can not possibly
>>put this machine on an Internet connection.  I guess, I can just nuke
>>everything and re-install and actually choose the options.  I almost
>>wish I would have just left FC4 on the machine.
>>
>>I also tried yum, rpm, and system-install-packages but it seemd that I
>>had to list a needed packages explicitly.  I tried for a while and
>>gave up.  There must be an easier way.
>>
>>If there's some other program I can use, or if I can get rpm or yum to
>>let me select packages.  I want to install the KDE stuff, some other
>>WMs, and set XDMCP to be launchable from Applications (?? I think
>>menu) on the login screen.  I know XDMCP is not secure, it does not
>>matter: the network this will run on a physically secure.
>>
>>Everything worked fine (installing new software with pirut) on my home
>>machine (which is connected to the Internet).
>>
>>Any help appreciated.
>>
>>[[FC5 seams to have so much documentation, but never anything I'm
>>really lookiing for]]
>

> All of the FC5 package management tools are based on yum.
>
> Yum is by default configured to get packages from the Internet.
>
> There is currently no support in yum or the other tools for reading
> package information from CD or DVD media, though this is planned for the
> future.

Not entirely true.  You can get it to work.
I have a copy of the DVD ISO on my system which is mounted through the
loop-back mount (but it would work equally well for the extracted DVD).
 In some other directory I have a symlink to the Fedora subdirectory
from the DVD.  In that (other) directory I ran the command
	createrepo -g Fedora/base/comps.xml .
This directory I can now use as a source for yum (and hence pirut,
yumex, etc.).

--
Sjoerd Mullender