Re: Question about Gnome maintenance releases

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
Hi,

Gnome 2.14.1 was released recently (yesterday, I believe).  There are
many bug fixes and other updates.

I know that each new version of Fedora Core includes the latest and
greatest Gnome release available at the time.  But, what about the
maintenance releases, such as 2.14.1?  Are the updates back ported to
the version of Gnome running in the latest Fedora Core release?  Will
FC5 see the updates available in Gnome 2.14.1?

Regards,

Ranbir

Looking at past history, no, we will not be getting the new Gnome.  Desktop
environments are too complex to be released every two months.  You can
do it yourself with Garnome (results very), or wait for FC6 which probably
will include Gnome 2.16. I have never had a successful attempt with Garnome, it usually dies midway for me and it does take hours. I believe you can keep your exiting Gnome with it, so
if it doesn't work out well, you can go back to your old version.

Stephen