Re: Corrupted Desktop Icons

"Jeffrey D. Yuille" <jeffy5@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 22:19 +0100, Leon wrote:
>
>     "Jeffrey D. Yuille" <jeffy5@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>     > Hello,
>     >
>     >      I just booted to the desktop in FC5 and I see that all of my
>     > desktop icons have become corrupted (except for the home, computer,
>     > and trash icons).  When I click on one of them, there is a message
>     > that says "Cannot open (program).... The filename (program) indicates
>     > that this file is of type 'desktop document'.  The contents of the
>     > file indicate that the file is of type 'desktop configuration file. '
>     > If you open this file, the file might present a security risk to your
>     > system. "  How do I restore the desktop icons (shortcuts)?  I recall
>     > in the past that I had a similar problem where there was a hidden
>     > directory which had to be deleted and the computer rebooted in order
>     > to restore the desktop.  Any help would be appreciated.
>
>     Try with a new user account.
>
>     --
>     Leon
>
>      Do you mean that I should create a new account from the current one I have now or should I create a separate account?  I understand that
> there is a hidden file which would allow me to duplicate my desktop once I log out and log in again.

Hi Jeffrey,

Did you install or upgrade to fc5? If you upgrade from previous fc
release to fc5, very likely you will have problems with gnome. To be
honest there are a few minor bugs for gnome 2.14.

My suggestion is you create a new user account to see if you have the
same issue. My FC5 works fine but I did a fresh install.

Cheers,
--
Leon